University United Methodist Church College Park, MD
Sunday, May 24, 2015
We are seeking to be like Christ
University United Methodist Church
3621 Campus Dr., College Park, MD 20740
301-422-1400 - email@example.com
www.uumcp.org - Check our website for the announcements.
Like Us on Facebook – www.facebook.com/UUMCP
Pastor Sherri can be reached after hours at 301 963-1459 firstname.lastname@example.org. It is better to contact Pastor Sherri by email when possible.
Today’s Announcements – May 24, 2015:
1. The worship leader for today will be Rebecca Letsome.
2. The nursery attendants during worship today are Elizabeth Eber and Doug McNamara.
3. Please join us in the parlor following worship for refreshments and fellowship.
Week at a Glance: UUMC
SUN, MAY 24
8:30 a.m. – Sunday School (Chapel)
11:00 a.m. – Worship (Sanctuary)
MON, MAY 25
OFFICE CLOSED - HOLIDAY
THUR, MAY 28
6:30 p.m. – Disciple II Class (Parlor)
· 10 a.m. worship only through August.
· Beginning in June, worship will begin with a hymn sing or time of learning new songs.
· No Pastor’s Small Group Class through August.
· No child care during worship June – August.
· Summer Potluck/Cook-Outs begin June 14th. The church will provide hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, condiments, and beverages. Please bring a side dish or dessert to share. We need people to volunteer to serve as grill masters.
SERVE Sunday (May 31)
On May 31st at 10 a.m., we will gather for a brief time of worship before dispersing for a time of service inside and outside (weather permitting). Please plan to serve from 10:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. There is a sign-up sheet in the parlor. If you have supplies (gloves, painters tape, buckets, cleaning supplies, edger, weed whacker) that you would like to donate or bring for use, please feel free to do so. The nursery will be open and refreshments will be available. Questions regarding the projects can be directed to Bob Slack.
Weeding and Edging Lawn
Organizing Shed Area (2-4 people)
Painting Parking Lot (4-8 people)
Painting Curb (2 people)
Painting Steps (1 person)
Painting Shelter Door (1 person)
Cleaning Sacristy (2 people)
Cleaning Blinds (2 people)
Painting Kitchen Serving Doors (1 person)
Organizing Mailbox Area (1-2 people)
LIVING DIFFERENTLY - Learning & Spiritual Growth Opportunities
Mary’s Sunday School Class (Chapel)
Currently the class is studying ‘Minor Prophets”. Meet new people and grow in the knowledge of God and His will for you. You don’t know what you are missing. No one is too old to learn.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Step Up and Make a Difference at UUMC, in our cluster, in our community, and globally.
(1) Lawn Care Assistance Needed
UUMC is in need of volunteers to help maintain our 6+ acres of land. For many years Bob Roberson and Richard Kidwell have maintained the lawn and it is important that we provide volunteers to assist them. If you are able to assist, please plan to work outside on SERVE Sunday. They will be able to familiarize you with the equipment and orient you to what is currently being done and what is needed. For more information, see Bob Roberson, Richard Kidwell, or Bob Slack.
(2) Loaves and Fishes (June 21)
We serve a free hot lunch the third Sunday of each month to feed the hungry in our area, including UMD students. Please see the bulletin board in the hallway to sign up to VOLUNTEER to set up, to serve, to clean up. A special thanks to everyone who volunteers and supports this ministry. Contact Susan Howley (email@example.com), Sarah Wakefield (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Ellen Brown (email@example.com) with questions.
IN OUR CLUSTER
(3) College Park/Hyattsville Hispanic Initiative ESL Volunteers
Our Cluster Hispanic Initiative could use our support. Volunteers are needed for the English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes held at College Park UMC weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 p.m. Contact Pastor Israel Suarez for more information 301-310-2158 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
(4) College Park/Hyattsville Hispanic Initiative Financial Support
There is a donation container in the parlor to support the Hispanic New Church Start under the leadership of Pastor Israel Suarez. Donations can also be placed in the offering plate in an envelope clearly marked Hispanic Initiative.
IN THE COMMUNITY
(5) Help-by-Phone Food Bank
We can “make a difference” in our community by continuing to support Help by Phone, Ltd. Our eight food pantries, open five days a week, continue to meet needs of large numbers of people who simply do not have enough food on any given day. Pantries need the following canned or dried food donations in sealed containers to meet health department requirements. Please confirm that the expiration dates have not passed.
grits pancake mix & syrup baby food beef stew pudding & jello
dry milk coffee & tea cocoa cold cereals macaroni & cheese
rice peanut butter jelly tuna pork and beans
pasta canned fruits & veggies pasta sauce oatmeal soups
Donations can be placed in the wooden box in the narthex.
(6) Lenten Mission Campaign – Africa University
As a congregation, Pastor Sherri is challenging us to reach one student at Africa University who is trying to get an education to not only better himself/herself, but his/her community. Our goal for 2015 is to raise $2,700 (half of the cost for a student to attend Africa University, a fully accredited United Methodist-related educational institution located in Zimbabwe and established by the General Conference of the United Methodist Church). The total donations received so far for 2015 is $2194.11. Donations (cash or check) can also be put in an offering envelope with the notation “Africa University” on the outside and placed in the offering plate.
(7) Peace with Justice Support
One of the Special Sundays of the United Methodist Church is Peace with Justice Sunday which is normally the Sunday after Pentecost. Since there is so much unrest in our society currently, especially so close to home in Baltimore, we are acknowledging the need for peace with justice the entire month of May. In addition to praying for peace, please pray for justice. There is no peace when there is no justice. As Christians we are called to fight for and support justice around the globe. Special envelopes are available all month if you would like to financially support the cause of peace with justice. Envelopes are in the narthex or can be acquired from an usher.
- Get your weekly bulletin announcements on Thursday and be ahead of the game. All you have to do is send an email to email@example.com. You will also receive important reminders and be informed of church cancellations or delays.
- Give electronically through your bank or by using Vanco. It is as simple as 1, 2, 3. Step 1 – Go to your banking website. Step 2 – Sign up for bill pay. Step 3 – Add University United Methodist Church as a payee. Another option is to use Vanco by going to the church’s website (uumcp.org) and clicking the “donate online” button on the home page. (Please note that Vanco charges a fee.)
Rev. Sherri E. Wood-Powe: Pastor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carole Trone: Director Nursery School, email@example.com
John Wakefield: Director of Music, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Cramer: Office Manager, email@example.com
Sarah Elliott: Ministry Intern, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Wakefield: Lay Leader
Mary Norman: Organist
Please submit all announcements to the church office no later than 10 a.m. on Wednesday. Please confirm that announcements are in ready to print format, that they are brief and include a title.